17.1.12

Movie of the Week






Tree of Life, starring Brad Pitt and Sean Penn, has been tipped to be one of this year's Oscar Nominations. I love watching Oscar movies, but this one was not only a terrible disappointment, it was also very strange.

The film is directed by Terrence Malik, who also directed Days of Heaven and The Thin Red Line. The story takes place in Texas in the 1950s, with Brad Pitt starring as the authoritarian father. Sean Penn, who plays the grown-up oldest son, features for a total of 10 minutes in the whole screenplay. I struggled with the actual theme of the movie. Is there a religious angle? The one pro was the beautiful images of children running outside in the sun, but that is where it ends. I actually had to fast forward through a gruelling 17 minutes, in which there were no people, no speaking, only Discovery Channel-esque images of volcanos, ice and even dinosaurs. Seriously? If I wanted to watch Planet Earth, I would.

I am not the only one who was totally unimpressed. Read here and here.

2/10




LMM

xoxo

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...