20.12.10

The White Woman on the Green Bicycle

The White Woman on the Green Bicycle
by Monique Roffey



This is my latest read, which was on the Orange Prize 2010 Shortlist. It was an interesting read and I have mixed feelings as to whether I loved it, or liked it. It is set in Trinidad and spans the 60 years of George and the main character, Sabine's immigration to Trinidad. It is full of the politics of the West Indies, the heat and the disintegration of their marriage, as each one becomes more entwined into their seperate lives. George revels in the freedom and tempting lifestyle, whereas Sabine battles with the sweltering humidity and the racial toils that are rife in the country.

I fully escaped into this life and could feel the intense heat of the country, even though I was bundled up in my duvet, amidst the snow. Monique Roffey has a wonderful way with words, that makes the sentences effortlessly fall off the page. all in all a great read.

Read it!

xoxo

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...