A presenting complaint is when the patient tells you in their own words what is wrong with them. These can sometimes be highly amusing and are often very far from the real diagnosis.
- 23 year old female who thinks she has cancer. She has had a sore throat for 2 days and GOOGLEd possible causes. Cancer was on of them.
- 60 year old male who can come into the A+E up to 3 times a day. He is an alcoholic and enjoys his frequent daily visits. He is here because he can't find a girlfriend.
- 3 year old boy who stuck a marble up his bum because it was a good hiding place.
- 28 year old female who went for a pedicure and now wants to see if she contracted any diseases whilst having her toenails done.
- 72 year old female who lives alone and comes in on a regular basis. She just wants to chat and have a bit of company.
- Mother with a 7 year old girl, who has tummy ache each morning. After probing questions, it transpires that she is being bullied at school.
- 64 year old homeless man with emphysema. He comes in each night for a nebulisation, cup of tea and a sandwich.
Patients are strange creatures!