11.12.13

Mandela




It has taken me a long time to think about what I want to write in this post.

I have never had a death in the family, at least not someone close, nor have I ever lost a friend. It blows my mind to think of how deeply I have been affected by Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela's passing, someone I have not even had the priviledge of meeting.

Unfortunately work has prevented me from watching many of the ceremonies, or attending any events. I was at work last Thursday night, when news hit of Mandela's death. I was speechless and in shock. I could not even cry, especially because there were patients waiting to be seen. I YouTubed Jacob Zuma's announcemet when I could get a break. I had the radio tuned in to yesterday's memorial service, straining to hear and be a part of the biggest thing this country has faced in decades. As The National Anthem was sung, I was finally overcome with emotion, and the tears flowed. Driving home yesterday, someone phoned into 5FM and started crying and I was blubbering right along with her. I can't even remember what she said, but it just hit home, that we have lost the greatest man that any of us will even get a chance to walk this earth with.

For me it is even a priviledge to have been alive in the time of Mandela. I feel honoured to have experienced a part of his legacy, listened to his speeches and even heard him chuckle.

I heard this clip yesterday and it made me smile...

All I can take away from this momentous period, is that if I could even have a millionth of the humility, love and forgiveness that Mandela had, I will make a difference in this world.



I am going to try to live each day as WWMD (What Would Mandela Do).


Goosebumps...

And my favourite pics of the week...
























RIP Mandela





LMM

xoxo

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think the last cameo from Nelson M is the most moving.As for death it can take many forms but what is important is that love enjures.It was not until I was seriously ill did I start to understand and always will contemplate what an out of body experience ment to your approach to the rest of your life.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...